My name is Jason and I am the creator behind JBird Custom Woodworking (formerly Shadowboxing by Jason). My wife and I have been happily married for 24 years, have three great children and we are a huge Disney family. I enjoy many hobbies, but my passion lies in creating unique, one-of-a-kind commissions from wood. I am self taught (after years of helping with wooden construction projects) and each passing year, I enhance my technique (and tools) that further my skill set and professionalism.
Where it began.
I was looking for an “adult way to display the collectible pins that I had acquired from the Disney parks and various other places. In 2016, the idea came to me to create a wooden frame shadowbox using the Mickey Icon head cutout over cork. The result was exactly what I wanted and with that, my shadowbox business was born.
My first shadowboxes were basic cutouts with a cork background. Over time, they have evolved to include personalized and custom designs of favorite characters, silhouettes of family members, military emblems and many others. Now, every shadowbox made can be custom designed to the specifications and requests of the customer.
* 2018 – Formally registered with the State of Connecticut, taking it from a hobby to a business.
* 2021 – Accepted to participate as a vendor in the Connecticut Building at The Big E, the third largest fair in the United States.
* 2022 – Incorporated Shadowboxing by Jason as an Limited Liability Corportation (LLC) recognized by the federal government.
– Participated in The Big E as a vendor for 17 consecutive days in the Connecticut Building for the second year. Attendance records showed a cumulative total of 1.7 million attendees, which was reflected in my sales and custom orders.
– Expanded my skill set, tools and product line to include more individualized custom orders such as cutting & charcueterie boards and household items, furniture, signage and frames and games. Gained proficiency working with epoxy, lathe turning, and CNC.
* 2023 – After recognizing the shift in business goals and products, I rebranded my company from Shadowboxing by Jason to JBird Custom Woodworking.
– Will attend The Big E for the third consecutive year.